Thursday, August 28, 2008
a rare post for me...
Well I rarely blog when I have no pictures, but I have recently found I have a new love for something. Rocking my baby to sleep. I know that most people would say this is something to avoid, but I figure since I can't afford a babysitter now and rarely leave him anyway, what's the harm. I had a rough night with him about two weeks ago where he was just screaming in my ear until two in the morning. In the beginning I was just wishing that he would fall asleep and then I realized something. I care for lincoln but sometimes I forget the nurturing part. He wasn't feeling well that night and all I could think about was the fact that I was losing precious hours of sleep. about twenty minutes into this night, I found a new love for motherhood, I loved that I could comfort my baby and be a "mom" is really what it was. After feeding him, giving him tylenol, a bath and then walking around, he finally fell asleep and I could not have been more sad. I know that sounds weird, but I had begun to enjoy comforting him. So from then on I have decided that for the few extra minutes it takes me to rock him to sleep, I am just going to do it. I had been trying to follow the strict regime of putting him to bed awake and letting him cry it out for a while and it worked pretty well, but this just works better! I love, love rocking my baby to sleep! I realize that most of you moms out there are more selfless than I am so you probably are reading this and thinking, geez nat, I can't believe you haven't realized this all a long. Well I guess it takes some of us a little longer to figure some of this stuff out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
stsuff
Voting



5 comments:
not bad at all!
i secretly love when leah wakes up at night so i can go in and hold her. i think i secretly like it because she doesn't do it every night so i actually get plenty of sleep...but...
loved this post...
I feel like I'm enjoying the nurturing aspect more with Henry than I did with Eliza. I'm not as uptight and "by the book" as I was with her. I cherish them both, but seeing how fast Eliza has changed into a little person, I am holding onto the moments that you so well described.
It's soothing for me to watch my baby sleep. I was sad when my doctor suggested putting him down in his crib awake. I suppose my compromise is to cuddle/rock him just before he closes his eyes. But yeah, you're so right to do it your way. He's yours and nobody knows and adores him on the level that you do.
You already know this.... by Ben and I are rocking fiends. Ben will rarely go to sleep any other way. Naps, bedtime, whatever we are rocking away. I love watching him sleep and just like you said it makes feel so good to know that I am a comfort to him.
On occasion it does drive me batty though... when he wakes up in the middle of the night and we rock him to sleep and the minute he gets put in his crib he is awake and freaking... and the process starts all over again. That is not fun.
Every kid is different though. I have tried to get Ben to fall asleep by himself with every trick in the book. And he can fall asleep by himself... but again like you said... this just works better and I like it.
ROCK ON!!!!
-Hillary
That was the sweetest thing...I loved it. Sometimes I feel the same way like I just don't care if Taryn wanted to sleep in our bed or be rocked back to sleep every time she wakes up. Isn't that part of being a mom? Love it.
I was a "rocker" as well. There is just something so adorable about your baby snuggled up in your arms.An NOTHING more adorable than a sleeping baby...just don't make the mistake I did and pick them up from a dead sleep to snuggle them! I was up for the next 3 hours!!
Post a Comment